Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Simplicity 1609 Jiffy Dress - version 1

This is my first version of the Jiffy dress.  It's also the first dress I ever made so I love it out of all proportion for it's quality!

I used a Cloud9 fabric I bought from Spotlight - it's from their Wildwood Collection and is called Midnight Flora in Navy.  It's a quilters weight cotton so it is nice and cool for summer but not sheer.

The front of the dress is meant to be two panels but I adjusted the pattern and cut it as one so my busy print didn't look crappy.  I also foolishly put the zip in before I did the neck facings so I could pull them through as the pattern said. In the end,  I handstitched the shoulder seams to solve this.  I think I made it a little bit big though, so I might need to take the side seams in a wee bit.

Once I'd finished the dress, I was really disappointed it - it was so boring and plain so it hung over the back of my chair for a week.  I though that maybe a collar would make it look more finished.  The only fancy cotton I had was some Cascade Pima in Silver which actually matched perfectly.

I did the collar in two pieces but next time I'd do it in one piece to avoid having a wonky bit at the front.  I measured the neckline and then used a foundation chain a few centermetres shorted so that I could block it to the right size.  I based it on the Chain Loop Ruffle trim from 200 Crochet Flowers, Embellishments and Trims by Claire Crompton.



I handwashed the trim, rolled it in a towel to get out all the extra moisture then pinned it out to the right size to dry.  Then I hand stitched it on the dress.







No comments:

Post a Comment