Monday, May 18, 2015

Burda 6910 - knit top - version 3

I was so optimistic that I would finally nail the neckline of the this top.  But it was crap. Again.



After I cut it all out, the side seams are the first to be done on the overlocker.  Then sew up the underneath seam of the sleeves, do the hem and pin them in place before sewing them in.  When I got to this step it seem very easy and I realised that I had sewed the sleeves on the wrong way around on version 2 of this top.  Luckily it is not immediately obvious.

Next is the terrible neckline.  I've had a look at some other sewers blog posts and almost everyone has had issues with it.  Apparently most people have had to cut the neckline deeper so the neckline binding isn't long enough.

I think my problem is that I can't figure out exactly what I am meant to be doing.  I also can't tell if my mad sewing is stretching the neckline out or if the pattern is weird (maybe a bit of both).  I basically overlocked the strip onto the neckline (trimming as necessary) and then folded it over, steamed it and top stitched it with the double needle.  I might try a different technique next time.

So I added a dart over each shoulder and a pleat with a button at the front.

I made this one slightly wider across the back and the front so it doesn't pull across the bust.  Again I left out the gathering elastic at the sides and cut the fabric shorter than the pattern (but longer than the previous version) and made the hems slightly wider using the double needle.



The cheery knit fabric was from Spotlight.

I really like the style and it is sooo quick to make (only 5 cut pieces) on the overlocker.  It's easy to wear as well - a nice t-shirt that works as a top with dress pants.

I like it.  I wish I could get it right though.









No comments:

Post a Comment