Sunday, May 24, 2015

New Look K6217

This is my freebie pattern from Sew Magazine. My new measuring stick for pattern greatness is apparently the speed at which you can make it.


And this is super fast - 90 minutes all up - and that included me faffing about making my own binding.  The sleeves are just an extension of the body and not separate, so that made it super quick to finish. 

I had a small bit of rayon left over from a skirt I made, but not enough for a whole top.  I cunningly bought 90cm of a plain black knit fabric and made this!


I was a bit worried that the two different fabrics would pull weirdly but the black knit is not very stretchy and quite thick so it is holding its shape well.  I did side seams first then hemmed the sleeves and the bottom edge with a top stitch.  I think the pattern says to use bought bias binding but I decided to just use the rayon fabric - I didn't even make proper binding - I just cut a diagonal strip, ironed a crease in it and the sewed it on around the neck line with the final stitch line as visible top stitch.  The rayon binding is only visible on the inside of the top and it looks fancy on the back piece of black knit!


The only problem was the sewing machine needle - I used a stretch twin needle for the sleeves which pulled a bit on the rayon as it punched downwards but you need to look very closely to notice it.

I will definitely make more of these - it is instant gratification and only needs a tiny amount of fabric.




No comments:

Post a Comment