Monday, April 27, 2015

Clemence skirt - Tilly and the Buttons

This is my Clemence skirt from Tilly and the Buttons book Love at First Stitch.

I convinced my husband make the pattern up for me while I tidied away the childrens lego - it was a fair swap - soooo much lego.  The pattern uses your individual measurements to work out the length of the waistband and I just used the amount of fabric I had left for the skirt rectangle piece.

This was the first project I've made with gathering - I'm not sure I did it perfectly but it is not abysmal. 

The skirt was not difficult to make but I did struggle a bit with my old foe, the invisible zipper.  I've never done a zipper through a waistband before and it doesn't quite meet up perfectly - but it is definately ok.  In the end I made the skirt too big so took it in about 2cms each side with the overlocker - and inelegant solution but effective and fast.

I used some Cloud9 fabric that I got from Spotlight - it's a quilting cotton - I like the heavier fabric because it sticks out nicely. I'm also wearing a light tulle skirt underneath to give it a bit more pouffiness. I don't think it's meant to be a pouffy skirt but I like pouffy.

I will make this skirt again but I think I'll use a darker fabric though, the lighter colour is not that flattering. Also the cardigan is a bit matchy matchy but I quite like it.


No comments:

Post a Comment