Monday, April 27, 2015

Alma blouse - Sewaholic

I made an Alma blouse from Sewaholics.  It is the first top that I've made that I've really liked!  It was meant to be a wearable muslin but it was so trouble-free that it is a wearable top.

It was a bit of a palaver though because I have never done this before and I am a lazy cow.  I bought the pdf pattern, so printed out the million pages, stickytaped them together and then drew my pattern pieces on baking paper.  I was incredibly suprised that the finished product turned out so well.

The pattern was easy to follow but I screwed up the sleeves by having too much gathering at the top.  I didn't baste them on either.  The inside seams in the armhole have binding type arrangement and I couldn't face taking the sleeves off and redoing it all.  I just put a wee tuck and a stitch in each side to make it sit flatter.

I didn't quite have enough fabric for the belt tie so its made from four pieces instead of just two.  I also did a line of topstitching all around the belt - I have no idea if that is in the instructions but it looks nice.

I didn't put in a side zip either - I would like to say that I didn't want the fabric to pull down with the weight, but the truth is that I was too lazy.

I used an inexpensive cotton voile that I bought at Spotlight.

I completely love this top.  I think I'd like to try it in a light knit fabric too - like a heavy t-shirt style top - it probably wouldn't need facing then!

No comments:

Post a Comment